Since we're genealogists, we completely understand and can perfectly visualize the following relationships, right?
- 4th cousin
- 2nd cousin, twice removed
- half 9th cousin, three times removed
Once I understand it, two weeks later I'm back to where I started - confused.
Connie Lenzen recently wrote for The Columbian an article entitled "Genealogy Today: How to Piece Together the Relationship Puzzle" where she explains this mystery quite well. Read the article here.
Legacy Family Tree also has a nice chart to help you visualize these relationships. Instructions:
- Click on the Reports icon.
- Click on the Books/Other tab.
- Click on the Forms Center button.
- Click on the plus sign next to Relationship Diagrams and select the desired language.
- Click on the Preview or Print button.