You've probably learned that unless your paper files are in order, further genealogy research can be frustrating. You've also probably tried dozens of different organizational systems. Not every system works for everyone, which is why we have been publishing different methods via Legacy News.
Mary Hill developed a color-coding system for organization which has become very popular, and it works directly with Legacy's color-coding system. Her system is explained here.
To print pedigree, family group, and other reports using the color-coding system, follow these simple steps:
- With Legacy open, click on the Options menu, then click Customize.
- Click on the View tab. In the Ancestor Color Coding section, turn on the option.
- Click Save.
- In the Family View, navigate to yourself.
- Click on Tools, then Apply Ancestor Colors.
The color coding is now set and visible in the Family View.
To print a color-coded pedigree chart, follow these steps:
- Click on the Reports icon in the main toolbar. Click on the Pedigree tab.
- Click on the Color Text and Boxes button.
- Check the 4th option of 4 Line Colors. Save.
- Preview or Print.
Not only do these color-coded charts look great, but they compliment the color-coded organizational system.
Other organizational systems
Click here to review the other organizational systems we have published.