Question from Jerry,
"I wish to email my cousin one branch of my family history. How do I isolate the one branch and send in an email?"
Good question Jerry. First you would need to decide what specifically you want to send to your cousin. Do you want to:
- send a GEDCOM file so they can import the data into their genealogy computer program
- create some kind of report that only shows the branch they are interested in
I'm guessing that you want to send a GEDCOM. The easiest way to do this is to create a Focus Group. Please follow these instructions....
Creating the Focus Group and GEDCOM file
- Go to File > Export to > GEDCOM file.
- Click on the Record Selection button in the lower left.
- Click in the circle next to "Selected records contained in the Focus Group", then click on the View/Select Focus Group button.
- Using the 6 buttons at the bottom of this screen, add the desired individuals to the focus group. When you are done, click OK.
- The "View/Select Focus Group" button's text should now be red. Click Close. The phrase to the right of the Record Selection button should now read "Focus Group records".
- Click on the "Select File Name and Start Export" button in the upper right.
- Type the desired name of the GEDCOM, and navigate to the folder in which you want to save the GEDCOM. (Remember where you save this so you can attach it to an email later.) Click Save.
- Enter the compiler information and click OK.
Now, using your email software, write your message and attach the GEDCOM file (the file will end with the .ged extension). Happy hunting!