This morning I ordered Windows 8 and began its download. While I write this article my download is 35% complete, with a little over 7 minutes remaining. So far the process has been very simple. For those interested, here's the step-by-steps:
1. At http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/download-shop, I clicked on the Buy Windows 8 button. It downloaded a small file which launched the compatibility wizard.
2. It found 54 apps and devices which were compatible, and 9 that I needed to review:
3. It showed the list of what was compatible, and what was not.
4. It asked me what files I wanted to keep. Of course I selected the first option.
5.Next I was presented with the opportunity to purchase Windows 8 Pro. At $39.99 it was a bargain compared to previous upgrade prices.
6. The next screen:
7. Filled in my billing address:
8. And my payment information:
9. They accepted my credit card, and presented me with my Product Key. I clicked on the View Receipt link and printed it. I was also emailed a copy.
10. Then it began the large download.
It's now at 96%, with 28 seconds to go. I'll keep you updated on what I learn today. If I do not write another article in the next couple of hours, it's because I either 1) uninstalled Windows 8, 2) really liked it and am still playing, or 3) went to my 5th grader's awards assembly at the school. I know I'll do number 3, but am unsure about #s 1 or 2.
What about you? Have you installed Windows 8 yet?
...a few minutes later...
Oops, I spoke too soon. I ended with this screen:
Just prior to this, my AntiVirus program gave me a warning. Maybe this software interfered with the download and installation. Most software installation procedures recommend to disable AntiVirus and Firewall software prior to installation. I'm going to do that now and see if it makes a difference for my second try. Back to work....
9:25am Update...that seemed to do the trick. It is now in the process of "getting files ready."
Hmm...which should I choose. Let's go with the first one. I wish there were a "what does this mean" link next to each option:
Next, agree to the license terms. I know...boring...but I wanted you to see the entire process:
OK, I guess I won't be able to write anymore until installation is done. See you soon!
10:46am update - just got back from my son's award's assembly. He got straight A's and made the Principal's List!
When I returned home, the installation wizard asked me a few questions about my favorite colors and preference selections. I'm now working with Windows 8! It has both a desktop mode (which looks identical to Windows 7, but without the Start menu) and the Tile mode. I'm nervous for the Tile mode, mostly because it's so new and different, but am looking forward to exploring. So far so good.
Tell us about your experience below. Have you made the upgrade yet? Why or why not?