Question from Robin:
Is there a way to create a GEDCOM file of only the males in a Legacy database? I would like this for DNA project work.
Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Click on the Search icon at the top (looks like a magnifying glass).
- Click on the Detailed Search tab.
- Look for whom: Individual
- Where to look: Sex
- How to look: equal to
- What to look for: male
- Click on the Create List button.
This is the list of all males in the database. If you want to create a custom report of this list, just click on the Print button.
If you're going to be working with the individuals in this Search List, you may wish to tag everyone in the list. Tagging is like putting a paper-clip on a person, or marking them for any purpose.
To tag the list:
- Click on the Options button at the bottom.
- Click on Advanced Tagging.
- Select the tag #, then click on Everyone in Search List. Close.
- All males have now been tagged.
Now that they are tagged, you can do lots of things - export the tagged individuals to a GEDCOM, create web pages for all tagged individuals, create custom reports for just tagged individuals.
Caution. Before tagging anyone, be sure to adhere to the two important rules of tagging, discussed in Legacy's Tagging and Searching Made Easy. Preview the video by clicking here.
Creating the GEDCOM
- Click on the File menu, and click on Export to > GEDCOM.
- Click on the Record Selection button at the bottom.
- Select All records with an individual tag of, then select the tag # that you selected for all males.
- Close. Select File Name and START EXPORT.