Create a shareable CD for your family using Legacy Family Tree
November 02, 2006
You've worked hard to collect and document your family history. With Legacy Family Tree's new Create CD feature, you can now easily share your precious findings with others.
With a few simple clicks, you have the choice to include your ancestors' photographs, video clips, and even your Legacy family file. Pick from a pre-designed layout, and the software can even create buttons for your email address and favorite web site.
Best of all - the Create CD feature is available FREE to all users of Legacy. Here is an example of the resulting CD menu:
1) To create your CD, first open Legacy. Then click on the Create CD button in the main toolbar. (Make sure you have installed Legacy's latest update.) If you have not yet downloaded our free Create CD software (which is a special, free edition of our add-on software, Passage Express), Legacy will prompt you to first download and install it.
2) Next, decide if you want to include the entire Legacy family file, or create a subset of it. If you are creating a CD for the wife's side of the family, then select the "Create a Subset" option where you can then specify to only include her side.
3) Follow the steps to give your project a title, an author, and decide what you want to include on the CD.
4) Once the CD is designed, click on the Test Project link to see what the CD will actually look like when your family member inserts it into their computer.
5) When you are satisfied, click on the Publish button.
Just like that, you've created a family heirloom!
If you want to really customize the CD and pick from other layouts and designs, the deluxe edition of the CD-creation software, Passage Express, is also available. Learn more about it here.
You say the Create CD feature is free to all Legacy users. How do I get it I have the latest deluxe version 188.8.131.52 install but no sign of the above.
Posted by: Clive Asher | November 03, 2006 at 02:10 AM
Clive, In the main toolbar there should be a new button called Create CD. It is on the right side. Click on it. If you haven't already downloaded/installed our free version of Passage Express, it will prompt you to do so. If you don't have this new button, please let me know about it. If it's not there, right-click on the toolbar, which will give you a list of available buttons. Drag the Create CD button from the bottom selections to the main toolbar at the top.
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | November 03, 2006 at 06:28 AM
By creating this CD, will the person receiving it be able to upload the info to their own Legacy file?
Posted by: Margaret Waterman | November 03, 2006 at 01:09 PM
I have latest update but no icon to create cd, also right clicked and checked available icons. Passage Express is not free...do I have to download/buy it in order to get the create cd feature?
Posted by: C Childers | November 03, 2006 at 08:40 PM
C Childers and others:
If you don't see the Create CD icon in the main toolbar, AND you have the latest update (184.108.40.206), please review this article for customizing your toolbar:
The Passage Express company created a special, free version of their software for our use.
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | November 06, 2006 at 10:04 AM
Margaret, yes, you have the option to include a copy of your Legacy family file on the CD. The person to whom you give the CD can then import the family file into their Legacy software.
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | November 06, 2006 at 10:08 AM
When you right click, the icon for Passage Express looks like a red circle with the letters PE in it. I didn't realize that was it at first also.
Posted by: Kathy | November 24, 2006 at 05:53 PM
I believe you gave the wrong impression that the created Passage Express CD would not require the receiver to download Legacy and my complete Legacy files would be downloaded on the CD. That would have made it easier for non-savy computer users.
Posted by: Barbara | November 26, 2006 at 01:20 PM
I still do not realy understand the creating a C.D Do I have to download the standard version of Legacy first or is it just the receiver who downloads this and I just click the P.E. button
Posted by: Iris | March 30, 2007 at 11:40 AM
Could you please tell me if passage express takes 4 to five hours to download or am I doing something wrong in the download.
Posted by: Susan Oliver | April 13, 2007 at 09:25 PM