Genealogy on the Go: the "Families" App for Legacy - free webinar now online
April 11, 2012
If you are considering going "mobile" with your genealogy, Legacy Family Tree has the perfect solution. The Families App lets you take your Legacy data, pictures, sources, To Do List and more with you on your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or Android phone or tablet (which also includes the Kindle Fire, Nook, etc.). In today's webinar, presented by the Families developer, Malcolm Green gave a demonstration of using the app and provided step-by-step instructions for getting it all set up. He also showed how to synchronize your Legacy family file with your mobile device.
Purchase Families for Android devices here or from the Market/Google Play via your tablet/phone.
Purchase Families for iSeries devices here or from the App Store via your iSeries device.
After purchasing and installing Families, you also need to download the Families Sync software to transfer your Legacy file to your mobile device. Download it here.
Visit http://www.telgen.co.uk/families/ for screenshots, the user forum, and step-by-step instructions.
View the recording
If you could not make it to the live event or just want to watch it again, the 1 hour 40 minute recording of Genealogy on the Go: the Families App for Legacy is now available to view in our webinar archives. Visit www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/webinars.asp to watch.
Special discount coupon
The special discount coupon of families that was announced during the webinar is valid for 10% off anything in our online store (excluding the Families app) through Monday, April 16, 2012.
Register for our upcoming webinars (free)
- Using Legacy Family Tree to Support Family Groups/Organizations with Geoff Rasmussen and Ken McGinnis, April 14.
- Researching Your Scottish Ancestors with Marie Dougan, April 18.
- Reverse Genealogy: Finding the Living with Megan Smolenyak, April 25.
- Researching Your Pennsylvania Ancestors with Lisa Alzo, May 2.
- Researching Your New York Ancestors with Thomas MacEntee, May 30.
- Researching Your German Ancestors with Kory Meyerink, June 6.
- Putting Flesh on the Bones with Ron Arons, June 13.
- Marriages and Anniversaries. Mining newspapers for engagements, marriages, anniversaries, and divorce records with Tom Kemp, June 20.
- Staying Safe with Social Media with Thomas MacEntee, June 22.
- Digital Images for Genealogists and Technologists: scanning, digitizing, editing, and preserving your photos with Geoff Rasmussen. June 27.
- The Quest for your English Ancestors with Claire V. Brisson-Banks. July 11.
- Plan Your Way to Research Success with Marian Pierre-Louis, July 18.
- Neglected History by Megan Smolenyak, August 1.
- Wikis for Genealogists with Thomas MacEntee. August 8.
- The 5 C's for Success in Genealogy Today with Barbara Renick. August 22.
- Beyond the Arrival Date: Extracting More from Passenger Lists with Lisa Alzo. September 5.
- What is a 'Reasonably Exhaustive Search'? with Michael Hait. September 12.
- Use Your Digital Camera to Copy Records with Mary Hill. September 19.
- Digital Research Guidance, Research Logs, and To Do Lists: FamilySearch, Research Wiki, and Legacy Family Tree with Geoff Rasmussen. September 26.
- Privacy and our Ancestors with Thomas MacEntee. October 3.
- Researching Your Irish Ancestors: Beyond the Basics with Judy Wight. October 10.
- Ten Brick Wall Tips for Intermediate Researchers with Marian Pierre-Louis, October 17.
- Your Civil War Ancestors: Beginning Your Research with Michael Hait. October 24.
- Breaking Down Your Irish Brick Wall with Judy Wight. October 31.
- Genealogy for Novices: Where Do We Begin with Linda Geiger. November 14.
- The Big 4 U.S. Record Sources with Mary Hill. November 28.
See you online!
I wanted to purchase "Families" for my IPad but I'm unable to access the site "telgen.co" to download the sync software.
Web Page not available message comes up with error 118.
Unless I can get the sync software there's no point in buying "Families"
I would appreciate any help.
Posted by: J Tucker | April 12, 2012 at 01:38 PM
The website is http://www.telgen.co.uk/families
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | April 12, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Thank you Geoff - but I know what the web address is. I can't access it. If I try to the site it comes up with the error Web Page not available!
I have tried on my IPad and on my computer running Explorer and also tried with Google.
I have not had this problem before..
Posted by: J Tucker | April 13, 2012 at 02:39 PM
I guess I'm not sure what to recommend. I'm able to browse to it with Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | April 13, 2012 at 02:41 PM
It must be one of my network settings - which I'm clueless about :)
It's a home network nothing very complicated except to me.
I'll try to search for error message etc.
thanks again - I really do want that programme for my IPad -
If you think of anything please let me know in the meantime I'll try finding what I can about error message 118!
Posted by: J Tucker | April 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM
I found the Families webinar very useful (watched it afterwards as 6am our time was a bit early!). It is great having access to my whole family file when I am at a research library. I also learnt some new things about Legacy from the webinar (like sorting locations). The new Legacy census tool is great too.
Posted by: Sue | April 15, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Can I install Families on my Kindle Fire?
Posted by: Bonnie Walden | April 19, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Bonnie - yes, it works on the Kindle Fire.
Posted by: Geoff Rasmussen | April 19, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Sigh, no application for my Windows 7 phone....nobody likes us Window 7 phone folks:):)
Posted by: Jeffrey Vaillant | April 27, 2012 at 01:41 PM