Register for Webinar Friday - Slave Narratives: Telling the Story of Slavery and Families by Ann Staley, CG, CGL
The WPA Federal Writers' Project (FWP) of the late 1930's provides us with more than 2,300 first person accounts of former slaves. The slave narratives, with their autobiographical accounts, can provide insight into the institution, rich context, and clues for family research. But how can we use this rich resource? Can they be relied upon? Some of the questions we will discuss are: What is the history of the slave narratives?Before, during, and after the Civil War. When were they taken? Who were the interviewers? What are the limitations of the narratives? Where can I find the narratives? Offline and Online. How can they be used for research? Names of family members, names of plantations, owners, and their family members; birth, marriage and death information for individuals; context for daily life in particular places.
Join us and Ann Staley, CG, CGL for the live webinar Friday, September 14, 2018 at 2pm Eastern U.S. Register today to reserve your virtual seat. Registration is free but space is limited to the first 1,000 people to join that day. When you join, if you receive a message that the webinar is full, you know we've reached the 1,000 limit, so we invite you to view the recording which should be published to the webinar archives within an hour or two of the event's conclusion.
Or register for multiple webinars at once by clicking here.
Not sure if you already registered?
Login to view your registration status for this webinar (available for annual or monthly webinar subscribers).
Test Your Webinar Connection
To ensure that your webinar connection is ready to go, click here.
Can't make it to the live event?
No worries. Its recording will be available for a limited time. Webinar Subscribers have unlimited access to all webinar recordings for the duration of their membership.
About the presenter
With our Google Calendar button, you will never forget our upcoming webinars. Simply click the button to add it to your calendar. You can then optionally embed the webinar events (and even turn them on and off) into your own personal calendar. If you have already added the calendar, you do not have to do it again - the new webinar events will automatically appear.
The webinar will be live on Friday, September 14, 2018 at:
- 2pm Eastern (U.S.)
- 1pm Central
- 12pm Mountain
- 11am Pacific
Or use this Time Zone Converter.
Here's how to attend:
- Register at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com today. It's free!
- You will receive a confirmation email containing a link to the webinar.
- You will receive a reminder email both 1 day and 1 hour prior to the live webinar.
- Calculate your time zone by clicking here.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed on your computer. Check at www.java.com.
- Check your GoToWebinar connection here.
- Click on the webinar link (found in confirmation and reminder emails) prior to the start of the webinar. Arrive early as the room size is limited to the first 1,000 arrivals that day.
- Listen via headset (USB headsets work best), your computer speakers, or by phone.
We look forward to seeing you all there!