In 2021 MyHeritage and Legacy Family Tree Webinars brought you 240 genealogy webinars. 240 ways of finding your ancestors. Wow! We hope you've been able to find an ancestor or two and that you've enjoyed our Webinar Wednesdays, our 2nd annual Genealogy Webinar Marathon, Webtember, TechZone videos, the Reisinger Memorial Lecture Series, the MyHeritage Webinars series, the African Diaspora series, the Board for Certification of Genealogists webinar series, and everything else we've brought you in 2021.
Thank you for being part of our webinar family. My family. While every single webinar was fantastic, here's the list of the top most-watched webinars in 2021.
The Top 10 for 2021
1. Navigating Your Way Through FamilySearch by Cyndi Ingle
2. Another 50 Websites Every Genealogist Should Know by Gena Philibert-Ortega
3. Ten Databases You Need to Know About by Shannon Combs-Bennett
4. 'What are the Odds?' An online tool that can help solve DNA puzzles by Jonny Perl
5. An Introduction to DNA Painter by Jonny Perl
7. Context: A Powerful Tool for Problem Solving by Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL
8. FamilySearch.org – 10 Links You Have to Try by Devin Ashby
9. Four ways DNA Painter can help with your family history research by Jonny Perl
10. Building Family Trees for Your DNA Matches by Mary Eberle, JD
11. Me and My 1000+ DNA Cousins by Diahan Southard
12. Genealogy Escape Room by Thomas MacEntee
13. Four Factors Influencing Your DNA Ethnicity Results by Diahan Southard
14. They Had Names: Identifying Children Represented by Tick Marks in Pre-1850 Censuses by Denise E. Cross, MSLIS, CG
15. Record As You Go, Cite As You Go, & File As You Go by Cyndi Ingle
16. Do You Have an Artificial Brick Wall? by Robyn Smith
17. Cluster Research: Using Groups of People to Find Your People by Robyn Smith
18. Fifty Overlooked Genealogical Resources in Fifty Minutes by Diane L. Richard
19. DNA Downer: Strategies for Dealing with DNA Fatigue by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
20. My ancestors were Irish – or were they? by Natalie Bodle
The 2nd Runner-Ups
21. Discover the new Legacy Family Tree 9 by Geoff Rasmussen
22. Solving a Brick Wall with DNA – A Case Study by Larry W. Thomas
23. Tech with Thomas by Thomas MacEntee
24. Nurturing Your Family Trees: Online or On Your Device (or Both)? by Cyndi Ingle
25. Learning More about American Female Ancestors Prior to 1850 by Gena Philibert-Ortega
26. Uncovering the lives of your London (England) ancestors by Cathie Sherwood
27. Organization: The Key to Successful Research by Teri E. Flack, M.A. (Public History), M.B.A.
29. Investigative Genetic Genealogy – the Use of DNA for Law Enforcement by Diahan Southard
30. Where else to look? When matches don’t reply by Michelle Patient
Geoff's Personal Favorites
Although I loved every ... single ... webinar this year, these six were my personal favorites:
- Context: A Powerful Tool for Problem Solving by Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL - this webinar was the highest-rated webinar we've ever had!
- Investigative Genetic Genealogy – the Use of DNA for Law Enforcement by Diahan Southard - Diane filled in at the last minute for Debra Renard and was phenomenal.
- Tracing Your 20th Century English Ancestors by Paul Milner - I learned just what I needed to find my wife's ancestors in England.
- Looking Back & Peeking Ahead: 2021 at MyHeritage by Daniel Horowitz - this showed how much MyHeritage listens to their users, and how bright the future is here at MyHeritage
- That Scoundrel George by Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL - excellent methodology that we can each apply to our own research
- The Time of Cholera: A Case Study about Historical Context by Alison Hare, CG - again, incredible methodology and one of the highest-rated webinars ever
- Court Records for People of Color Family History Research by Nicka Smith - another of the highest-rated webinars ever
Well, my "personal favorites" list started out as "Geoff's Top 3" and the more I review the catalog the longer the list is getting so I'd better stop. All 240 webinars in 2021 are certainly worth the replay.
They didn't make the top 30, but I really enjoyed presenting these classes this year:
- The new and improved Legacy Family Tree Webinars website
- FAN Club in Action: a Simple Case Study
- 1 Step to Faster Internet at Home
Here's to a fruitful 2022 - may we all make progress on our family trees!