Top 30 genealogy webinars of 2022
December 29, 2022
In 2022 MyHeritage and Legacy Family Tree Webinars brought you 237 genealogy webinars. 237 ways of finding your ancestors. Wow! We hope you've been able to find an ancestor or two and that you've enjoyed our Webinar Wednesdays, our 3rd annual Genealogy Webinar Marathon, the MyHeritage Webinars series, Webtember, TechZone videos, the Reisinger Memorial Lecture Series, the African Diaspora series, the Board for Certification of Genealogists webinar series, the Mexico Research series, and everything else we've brought you in 2022.
Thank you for being part of our webinar family. My family. While every single webinar was fantastic, here's the list of the top most-watched webinars in 2022.
The Top 10 for 2022
1. Introducing DNA Labels by Ran Snir
2. From Piles to Files: Organize Your Genealogy by Teresa Steinkamp McMillin, CG
3. The Only Thing You Need to Know About DNA and Genealogy by Diahan Southard
4. Drawing Insights from Your Family Photos: Using MyHeritage by Daniel Horowitz
5. Quickly Organize Your DNA Matches with the Leeds Method by Dana Leeds
6. What’s New at DNA Painter by Jonny Perl
7. Top 10 Secrets to Using MyHeritage by Daniel Horowitz
8. Proving Parentage Two Centuries Later Using DNA Evidence by David S. Ouimette, CG, CGL
9. Identifying Common Ancestors with DNA by Shahar Tenenbaum
10. Different Ways to View Your Tree at MyHeritage by Uri Gonen
11. An Additional 50 Websites Every Genealogist Should Know by Gena Philibert-Ortega
12. Mastering Digital Filing for Genealogists by Cyndi Ingle
13. Tracing migrating ancestors: Who, what, where, when, why and how by Myko Clelland
14. CensusGenie: Down to the Wire 1950 Census Prep by DearMYRTLE and Russ Worthington
15. One Man, Multiple Names: A DNA-Based Case Study by Dana Leeds
16. Wringing Every Drop out of Mitochondrial DNA by Roberta Estes, MS
17. Creating a DNA plan for Geoff’s brick wall by Diahan Southard
18. FamilySearch.org – 5 More Links You Have to Try by Devin Ashby
19. Simply using timelines will make a difference in your research! by Dr. Shelley Viola Murphy
20. Structuring a Family History – class 1 of 4 by Carol Baxter
The 2nd Runner-Ups
21. The Top Ten DNA Do’s and Don’ts! by Michelle Leonard
22. How I survived a genealogy emergency by Geoff Rasmussen
23. Trendy Tech Tools for Your Research: Yay or Nay? by Cyndi Ingle
24. Using DNA To Solve Interlinked Mysteries by Michelle Leonard
25. Irish Emigration to North America: Before, during and after Famine by Paul Milner FUGA, MDiv
26. Finding Fayette’s Father: Autosomal DNA Reveals Misattributed Parentage by Jennifer Zinck, CG
27. Using Historical Fiction and Social History to Support Your Narrative by Beth A. Stahr, CG
28. Abstracting Documents: An Essential Skill for All Genealogists by Julie Miller, CG, CGL
29. Five Wives & A Feather Bed: Using Indirect and Negative Evidence to Resolve Conflicting Claims by Mark A. Wentling, MLS, CG
30. Negative Evidence: Making Something Out of Nothing by Denise E. Cross, MSLIS, CG
Geoff's Personal Favorites
Although I loved every ... single ... webinar this year, these five were my personal favorites:
- Creating a DNA plan for Geoff’s brick wall by Diahan Southard - although specific to my family, the step-by-steps Diahan outlined can be used by anyone. One of the highest-rated webinars of all time.
- One Man, Multiple Names: A DNA-Based Case Study by Dana Leeds - in the top-3 highest-rated webinars of all time. Dana was that good!
- Descendants of the Enslaved and Enslavers – Working Together to Discover Family by Cheri Hudson Passey and Sharon Batiste Gillins - this one I haven't viewed yet but Marian, who hosted the webinar, couldn't stop expressing how much she loved this one.
- Five Wives & A Feather Bed: Using Indirect and Negative Evidence to Resolve Conflicting Claims by Mark A. Wentling, MLS, CG - some webinars leave you with a feeling that you won't forget, and although I can't remember why I loved this one, I remember it as one of my personal all-time favorites
- McMasters’ Will: The Scheme That Made Us Virtually Free by Calvin Dark - one of the finest, most-engaging story-tellers I've ever heard
Many others deserve to be in this list, including some that I haven't yet watched (but have bookmarked for later). All 237 webinars in 2022 are certainly worth the replay.
They didn't make the top 30, but I really enjoyed presenting these classes this year:
- How a City Directory worked for me again
- How I Debunked an Online Tree Hint
- What’s New in the MyHeritage Photo World
Access to classes in the Legacy Family Tree Webinar library are available with an webinar membership. Not a member? Become one! Or watch one of our free classes here.
Here's to a fruitful 2023 - may we all make progress on our family trees!