Samuel Witter vs. Samuel Witter: Separating Same Name Men, War of 1812 by Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL - replay of today's webinar now online for webinar members
The recording of today's members-only webinar by Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG, FUGA, FNGS, "Samuel Witter vs. Samuel Witter: Separating Same Name Men, War of 1812” is now available to view at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com for those with a webinar membership.
Online research today is immensely rewarding. Major genealogical data sites and software perform automatic searches for us and suggest documents bearing the names of people we are pursuing. However, every document we collect presents an identity issue we have to resolve before we can validly use it to build our family tree. This presentation demonstrates why, using three men named Samuel Witter whose descendants have all claimed for him the same War of 1812 service. As Mills separates the three Samuels, she explores the standards that govern our development of evidence, the Congressional laws that must guide our decisions, and the strategies needed to differentiate between men and correctly assign military service.
If you could not make it to the live event or just want to watch it again, the 1 hour 25 minute recording of "Samuel Witter vs. Samuel Witter: Separating Same Name Men, War of 1812” is now available to view in our webinar library when signed in as a webinar member.
Webinar Members get:
- On-demand access to the entire webinar archives (now 1,990 classes of genealogy education)
- On-demand access to the instructor handouts (now 7,587 pages)
- On-demand access to the live webinars' chat logs
- 5% off all products at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com (must be logged in at checkout)
- Access to all future recordings for the duration of their membership
- Chance for a members-only door prize during each live webinar
- Access to register for bonus members-only webinars
- Ability to view which webinars you are registered for
- Use of the playlist, resume watching, and jump-to features
- Annual membership: $49.95/year