Legacy Family Tree Webinars is pleased to announce a new 12-part Scottish genealogy series by one of Scotland's most prominent genealogists, Dr. Bruce Durie. The course takes you through the critical aspects of Scottish genealogy. For those with Scottish ancestry, this in-depth course is essential.
The series debuted with a free live webinar on Friday, May 3rd and was immediately followed by the release of five pre-recorded classes into the Legacy library. These will be followed by another free live webinar on Friday, June 7th, 2019 and the release of the remaining 5 classes that same day.
The Scottish Course includes:
1. Scottish genealogy – Everything you need is at ScotlandsPeople, ScotlandsPlaces and the NationalLibrary of Scotland (Free until 5/8/2019, introductory)
2. Who Are The Scots? – History, Anthropology, DNA
3. Using ScotlandsPeople for Scottish censuses – 1841 and before to 1911
4. Using ScotlandsPeople for pre-1855 Old Parish Record – Baptisms, Marriages, Burials
5. Using ScotlandsPeople for post-1855 Statutory Records – Births, Marriages, Deaths
6. Scotland has no Probate – Wills and Testaments, Land Inheritance back to 1544
7. Using ScotlandsPlaces for People in Land and Tax Records etc., Maps, Gazetteers - Register for FREE June 7th live webinar
8. Numbers, Dates, Calendars, Money and Measure in Scotland
9. Scots Heraldry and Coats of Arms
10. Other Scottish Records and Sources – NRS, NRAS, SCAN
11. Myths, Stories and Pitfalls in Scottish Genealogy
12. Emigration from Scotland
About the Presenter
Dr. Bruce Durie is considered one of Scotland's top genealogists, with an international reputation. He is perhaps best known for his eight-year BBC radio series, “Digging Up Your Roots” and “A House with A Past”, and he has authored over 30 books, including the best-selling “Scottish Genealogy” now in its 4th edition. His background is in medicine and neuropharmacology, as well as holding a doctoral degree in history and education.
Bruce founded, delivered and ran the much-acclaimed Postgraduate Program in Genealogical Studies at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, including a full-time, online, one-year Masters Genealogical Studies programme. He now teaches courses on Genealogy, Documents and Heraldry as a Teaching Fellow at the University of Edinburgh.
He is well known for speaking, lecturing and presenting workshops on various aspects of Scottish genealogy, heraldry, history and culture worldwide but particularly in the UK, USA and Canada.
His latest book is "Your Scottish-American Ancestry" and forthcoming are:
- "Celt-ish: Uncovering the Great 'Celtic' Conspiracy" (The History Press, late 2019/early 2020)
- “The American Declaration of Independence and the Declaration of Arbroath” (early 2020)
Other honours and awards:
- Shennachie (Genealogist and Historian) to the Chief of Durie
- Elected to the prestigious Académie Internationale de Généalogie (the only member from Scotland)
- Recently appointed Chartered Biologist (CBiol) by the Royal Biological Society for his work on the public understanding of Genetic Genealogy
- Founding Member of the Register of Qualified Genealogists (www.qualifiedgenealogists.org)
- Founding Member of the Editorial Board of two scholarly, peer-reviewed journals, Genealogy (www.mdpi.com/journal/genealogy) and The Journal of Genealogy and Family History (www.qualifiedgenealogists.org/ojs)
- Fulbright Senior Scottish Studies Scholar 2016, spending eight months researching “Scottish Migration into Colonial America” at St Andrews University, Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
- Right of Audience at the Court of the Lord Lyon
More info at: www.brucedurie.co.uk
Not a member yet?
Legacy Family Tree Webinars provides genealogy education where-you-are through live and recorded online webinars and videos. Learn from the best instructors in genealogy including Thomas MacEntee, Judy Russell, J. Mark Lowe, Lisa Louise Cooke, Megan Smolenyak, Tom Jones, and many more
. Learn at your convenience. On-demand classes are available 24 hours a day! All you need is a computer or mobile device with an Internet connection.
Subscribe today and get access to this BONUS members-only webinar AND all of this:
- All 905 classes in the library (1,179 hours of quality genealogy education)
- 3,971 pages of instructors' handouts
- Chat logs from the live webinars
- Additional 5% off anything at FamilyTreeWebinars.com
- Chance for a bonus subscribers-only door prize during each live webinar
- Additional members-only webinars
It's just $49.95/year.
Look at our lineup of speakers for 2019! All live webinars are free to watch.
Print the 2019 webinar brochure here.